25lb Bag plants 3 Acres
Plow Down Clover Planting Instructions
1. Plow-Down Clover is best planted in early Spring to allow a longer growing time before it is plowed under.
*The longer PDC is allowed to grow, the more nitrogen for your soil.
*PDC can still be “frost” or "no-till" seeded closer to Spring green-up and once the ground is snow free.
*When no-till seeding you may want to increase the seeding rate 10-12lbs/acre.
*We do not recommend a late Fall or Winter frost seeding with the Plow Down.
2. Till the soil with a plow, disk, or similar equipment to prepare a good seed bed to ensure good seed to soil contact. New fields that contain a lot of grass may need an application of RoundUp prior to tilling in order to keep the grasses from taking over your plot.
3. Soil should be fertile with a pH of 6.5 to 7.5. If you are not sure of your soils fertility or pH, have your soil tested. Your local farm co-op or fertilizer dealer can usually help with this or we have kits available on our website.
*Fertilize at about 100-150 lbs/acre. An approximate blend around 6-24-24.
4. Apply either pelletized lime or ag lime as needed.
5. Broadcast or drill at 8-10lbs/acre
6. After seeding you can drag the seed bed, but do not cover the seed with more than ¼ inch of top soil.
7. Important Use a cultipacker, roller, or even your ATV tires to pack the field to insure good seed/soil contact. You do not need to worry about covering the seed. If the seed is planted too deep, it will not grow. Do not skip this step.
8. Wait for rain! As with all plantings, the sooner it rains the better so watch your weather forecast and try to plant before a reasonable chance of rain.
If you choose not to plow under your clover until next season that is just fine. You may want to mow it once or twice to encourage new fresh growth.
Use a plow to turn over your plot if you are able. Plowing the clover under and burying the stems and leaves is better for your plot than just disking them down.
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
Plow-Down Clover = Green Manure
Learn the advantages of planting Frigid Forage Plow Down Clove...
Episode #1 Soil Testing & Plow Down Clover HD
------------------------------------------- Frigid Forage has...
Frigid Forage Plow Down Clover
Plow Down Clover is a clover seed blend designed to be planted...
Why Plow Down Clover?
Plow Down Clover is the first-of-its kind blend of fast growin...