Plow Down Clover Description
The Plow Down Clover seed blend is a first of its kind blend of fast-growing annual and bi-annual clovers formulated to provide a green manure cover crop. It is ideal if you intend to plant a late-season annual, like Big and Beasty or Autumn Quick Plot.
When To Plant Plow Down Clover
Plow-Down Clover is best planted in early Spring to allow a longer growing time before it is plowed under.
- The longer that Plow Down Clover is allowed to grow, the more Nitrogen for your soil.
- Plow Down Clover can still be "frost" or "no-till" seeded closer to Spring green-up and once the ground is snow free.
- When no-till seeding, you may want to increase the seeding rate to 10-12 lbs/acre.
- We do not recommend a late Fall or Winter frost seeding with our Plow Down Clover.
How To Plant Plow Down Clover
- Till the soil with a plow, disk, or similar equipment to prepare a good seed bed to ensure good seed to soil contact. New fields that contain a lot of grass may need an application of RoundUp prior to tilling in order to keep the grasses from taking over your plot.
- Spread fertilizer
- Soil should be fertile with a pH of 6.5 to 7.5. If you are not sure of your soils fertility or pH, have your soil tested. Your local farm co-op or fertilizer dealer can usually help with this or we have kits available on our website.
- Fertilize at about 100-150 lbs/acre. An approximate blend around 6-24-24.
- Apply either pelletized lime or ag lime as needed.
- Frigid Forage Pro Tip: Use a cultipacker, roller, or even your ATV tires to pack the field to insure good seed/soil contact. You do not need to worry about covering the seed. If the seed is planted too deep, it will not grow.
For more in-depth planting instructions, view our Plow Down Clover planting instructions here.
- If you choose not to plow under your clover until next season that is just fine. You may want to mow it once or twice to encourage new fresh growth.
- Use a plow to turn over your plot if you are able. Plowing the clover under and burying the stems and leaves is better for your plot than just disking them down.
Plow Down Clover Seeding Rate
The recommended seeding rate is 8-10 lbs per acre (10-12 lbs per acre if "no-till" seeding). Therefore, this 25 lb bag is suitable for 3 acres.
Size: 25 lbs
Plow Down Clover Seeding Rate: 8-10 lbs per acre (10-12 lbs per acre if "no-till" seeding)
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
Plow-Down Clover = Green Manure
Learn the advantages of planting Frigid Forage Plow Down Clove...
Episode #1 Soil Testing & Plow Down Clover HD
------------------------------------------- Frigid Forage has...
Frigid Forage Plow Down Clover
Plow Down Clover is a clover seed blend designed to be planted...
Why Plow Down Clover?
Plow Down Clover is the first-of-its kind blend of fast growin...